Makes 2-3 cups
3 cups cherries, fresh and pitted
1 1/2 cups cider viengar
1 cup onion, chopped
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup raisins
1 tablespoon mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Combine all ingredients in a large heavy saucepan.
2. Bring to boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered for 1 hour.
3. Uncover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thickended. (This takes another 30 minutes or so.)
4. Remove from heat and let cool at room temperature.
5. Refrigerate in glass jars, or process in a hot bath.